Brendan Kane’s breakout book on Social Media Marketing. Filled with loosely related stories to the points he’s trying to convey, but the “substance” is easily condensed in the summaries at the end of each chapter.
When looking for first principles in this book, there were a few amazing insights, though.
Some of my favorite points:
- Sharing is the currency of most social media. AND, a share is the gold standard of marketing. It’s the modern-day word-of-mouth.
- Use the scientific method for your marketing. Hypothesize, test, pivot is Kane’s mantra.
- Above all — provide service and value to others if you want to succeed. Lead with value and try to deliver more value than you capture.
- We have a global economy with the Internet. Stop limiting yourself to domestic audiences.
- Developing a global following is less expensive, and it provides social proof for domestic targeting.
I really wanted to enjoy this book, and it did have valuable and actionable insights, but it could have been written as a mega-post on a blog.
1,000 True Fans by Kevin Kelly is a great starting point and an example of concise, actionable advice on a similar topic.